It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:43 pm

Post subject: Mass editing of multiple topics/posts from .txt
PostPosted: February 19th, 2015, 3:54 pm 

I just learned about themaManager. Congrats freddy on this new feat!

I just want to suggest for you to add a function in which one can mass edit all their forum topics/posts. The concept shall be like that of creating topics/posts from directory in themaposter, but instead of posting, themamanager will be editing. The user will enter URLs or topic IDs into the program and the program will also assign IDs to these posts. The user will copy to a folder within themamanager directory text files containing the edited messages and themaposter will automatically edit all topics/posts through the IDs that correspond to the text files. The text files should have a file name in a format like "{[XXXXXX]} Topic title.txt" where XXXXXX is the topic/post ID assigned by themamanager which also corresponds to the URL or topic ID entered into the program by the user.

And of course the program shall have the ability to read topic/post IDs or topic/post urls entered by the user in the program one per line of text, because if the user has to enter one by one, what's the point of calling it mass editing? Lol. The user will enter

Code:
http://www.forum.com/forum/some-topic-title-a-00000001
http://www.forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=00000002#post0000002
http://www.forum.com/forum/some-topic-title-a-00000002

and themamanager will treat each line of text as one topic or post and assign an ID to it:

Code:
id-001
id-002
id-003

When the user copies text files to a folder in the themamanager directory,

Code:
{[001]} Some topic title 1.txt
{[002]} Some topic title 2.txt
{[003]} Some topic title 3.txt

it will edit posts/topics that correspond to the IDs in the text file name.

This is is just my suggestion. I hope you understand how I explained it. You can make it however you like but the concept is mass editing from a directory (text files) using topic URLs.

Post subject: Re: Mass editing of multiple topics/posts from .txt
PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 11:36 pm 

Is there an update on this suggestion?

PostPosted: March 30th, 2015, 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Might add in the future.

Edit:

Replacing posts from files was added in the 1.16 update.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2015, 1:37 pm 

Hello,

I support this request generally but I'd really like to see a different approach to it.

Let me explain what I'd like to see and why.

As I add more more and more sites to my posting routine I see that keeping posts uniform is futile. If I post something like:

Code:
[center][color=#b30000][b]___This is a release name___[/b][/color]

[img]___This is an image link___[/img]

___This is a long, long description of what this post is all about!___

___This is some technical information___

[img]___Just another image for the looks___[/img]

[spoiler]___Some silly text___[/spoiler]

___These are my download links, varying with site___[/center]

we would have several things to deal with:

1. It starts with the first line: if I use different color tags per site and want to change the text for all at once I will need wildcards / regex to select all those posts
  2. Look at all those image tags. There are some sites that fetch your image and save it locally, changing your image tag. This is a real problem, since this post now differs from those in the other forums that won't change this part of your post. You can't use it as an "anchor" anymore.
  3. Download links may differ from site to site - if I want to change them for all sites, how would we handle this?
  4. Thema Poster can make many different looking posts from one release through forum replacements - it would be good if we could handle all these in a single request in TM

Basically I can think of a solution like this:

Code:
<IDstring>___This is a release name___</IDstring>
<sites>board.example.info|forum.test.org</sites>
<replace>/___This is an image link___/___A new image link___/</replace>
<replace>/[img]___Just another image for the looks___[/img]\n\n[spoiler]___Some silly text___[/spoiler]\n//</replace>
<sites>www.sillyboard.com</sites>
<replace>/.*/$0\n\n___I want to add a footer___/DOTALL</replace>

This example would do the follwing for all posts containing "___This is a release name___":

In sites board.example.info and forum.test.org:
replace ___This is an image link___ with ___A new image link___
deletes the 5 lines [_img]___Just another image for the looks___[/_img]\n\n[_spoiler]___Some silly text___[/_spoiler]\n

In site http://www.sillyboard.com:
Add two line feeds and a footer to the posts containing IDstring.

Sites tag is optional, if missing all matches are handled the same way.
IDstring tag is also optional, if you can select all posts you want to edit by the string to replace alone.

Well, how to handle links?

Single links can be handled by a replace tag as shown above.
For link groups I cannot think of anything tricky at the moment, I tend to add TP functionality here (link tag, banned Hosts - link tag and banned hosts configuration should be easily trasferable from TP to TM!) and give TM a full set of links with the text file to replace or leave them if not changed.

I'd only like to bring functionality that is in the graphical interface also to "automatic search and edit interface" - that is "search for a string and replace it". My proposal even extends it a bit since we would have the freedom to tell TM what it should change exactly where to exactly what. It's "Identify items to edit and replace the given strings on the given sites". This is something that the graphical interface doesn't yet allow in this form - I would welcome such flexibility also in the graphical interface- it would be easy, could be the same syntax, not as text file but as an input field in the interface. :)

Wurstmu

PostPosted: November 11th, 2015, 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

I do plan make improvements / add some of things mentioned in this topic.

I will re-read and comment more when working on this.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2015, 1:58 am 
Site Admin

Just a small update.

From 1.16 you can replace posts with new posts from .txt files (via interface only at the moment: http://manager.freddy.lt/faq.php?expand=faq403).

I do plan something from directory (without interface as suggested in first post).

@Wurstmu

* Replacements (like in themaPoster) has it's own suggestion topic. Might add, that should help a lot for you. Edit: already added from 1.18 version.

* For download links you could enter all links and if some forum has banned hosts you can already add them in "WEBSITES" -> "Banned hosts" and they are removed automatically.

* "[links]" is already supported as well ("WEBSITES" -> "Other settings").

* Something to easily transfer settings from themaPoster to themaManager is planned.